Unsurprisingly our cocoa collagen is an ideal ingredient in your healthy ice cream recipe! Here's how you make it:
– 300ml whole milk
– 300ml double cream
– 6 egg yolks
– 100g milk chocolate
– 5tsp of cocoa collagen from Wellness Lab
– 1tsp vanilla essence
– 2 handfuls Malteasers (optional, but delicious)
Ideally, for this malted chocolate ice cream recipe you’ll need an ice cream maker. If you don’t have one though, don’t worry – I’ll explain how to make the recipe without one as well.
Here’s the list of equipment you’ll ideally want to gather, in addition to your ingredients:
- Ice cream maker
- Mixing bowl
- Heatproof bowl
- Wooden spoon
- Balloon whisk
- Container to freeze your finished collagen ice cream in (an old ice cream tub is perfect!)
As with all ice cream recipes, there are two stages to this: first you make your custard base, then you turn it into ice cream. You can do both stages in one day if you have the time, or split them out over two days. Each stage itself doesn’t take that long – but leaving the custard to cool and the ice cream to churn is what takes the time!
Stage 1: Make Your Custard
1. In a large mixing bowl, whisk your egg yolks with the vanilla essence. In a saucepan, gently heat the cream and milk together until just boiling. Keep back three tablespoons of milk for later.
2. Remove the saucepan from the heat. Slowly pour the hot milk and cream over the egg yolks, while whisking the yolks constantly.
3. Once combined, return the mix to the saucepan and heat over a low heat, stirring constantly, until the mix is the consistency of thin custard.
4. Remove from the heat and cool. You can do this quickly by placing the custard in a bowl over a larger bowl of ice water, or leave to cool more slowly. Ideally, you want your custard chilled by the time it goes in the ice cream maker – so make sure it gets some time in the fridge. You can even leave it overnight in the fridge if you want.
Stage Two: Make Your Ice Cream
5. Set up your ice cream maker to churn, and add the custard.
6. Meanwhile, set a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of boiling water. Add three tablespoons of milk. Wait until the milk is warm, then add the chocolate, broken into pieces. Stir until the chocolate is totally melted into the milk. Remove from the saucepan and set aside to cool.
7. Take your sweet cocoa collagen and place it in the mug. Add 2 – 4 tablespoons of hot water, stirring to mix until you have a chocolatey sauce. Set aside to cool.
8. Once the ice cream has churned for 25 – 30 minutes and has thickened to the texture of soft serve/Mr Whippy ice cream, add the cooled chocolate and the cooled cocoa collagen mix. Allow to churn for a further 5 – 10 minutes.
9. Meanwhile, crush your Malteasers and place them in your ice cream container. Add the finished ice cream into your container and stir until the Malteasers are well mixed in.
10. Freeze your malted chocolate collagen ice cream for at least 2 hours, and serve when you’re ready.
Recipe by Sickly Mama